Mango Ginger (Curcuma amada) is a highly respected herb in Ayurvedic skin and beauty care, with edible golden roots which taste like raw mango and beautiful pink-purple flowers. Known in Sanskrit as āmragandhā haridrā meaning “Turmeric, but with the fragrance of mango”, Mango ginger is a relative of both Ginger (Zingiber officinale) and Turmeric (Curcuma longa), and shares many of their wonderful Ayurvedic healing properties.
Ayurvedic Properties of Mango Ginger
āmragandhirharidrā yā sā śītā vātalā matā | pittahṛnmadhurā tiktā sarvakaṇḍūvināśinī ||From the bhāva prakāśa nighaṇṭu
“That kind of Turmeric which has the fragrance of mango is known to be cooling and to aid in digestion. It alleviates pitta, is pungent and sweet, and treats all kinds of itching.”
Mango Ginger is known in Ayurveda to have the following healing properties:
- Mango Ginger aids in digestion. It is traditionally prescribed in conditions of indigestion, bloating, flatulence and colic pain. It soothes upset stomachs and stimulates the appetite as well. Mango ginger is made into an appetizing pickle in many different regional cuisines of India.
- Mango Ginger is cooling and anti-inflammatory. It alleviates excess pitta in the body and when applied externally, is beneficial for joint pain, arthritis and swelling. It is also soothing to damaged skin, as in the case of sunburn.
- Mango Ginger is considered beneficial for all kinds of skin conditions such as acne, fungal infections and itching due to various causes. Much like its cousin Turmeric, Mango Ginger is a popular ingredient in Ayurvedic beauty care products and routines as it enhances the skin’s complexion and has potent antioxidant properties which protect the skin from aging.
- Mango Ginger has antibacterial properties as well, and is often used to cleanse wounds and promote wound healing.
Auromère Products with Mango Ginger
Mango Ginger is one of our favorite herbs for Ayurvedic Beauty Care as it has a unique combination of properties which enhance the health and complexion of the skin. On one side it helps to treat and address underlying skin conditions and skin damage and on the other side it has a general protective, anti-aging effect which leads to a youthful appearance and radiant skin complexion.
Auromère includes Mango Ginger in all of the following Ayurvedic beauty care products:
- Ayurvedic Neem Balm: An all-purpose skin balm and “Ayurvedic Pharmacy in a Jar” which also includes Amla, Neem and Sandalwood.
- Ayurvedic Face Wash: An Ayurvedic face wash for daily use made with 13 Ayurvedic herbs and white and red clays.
- Ayurvedic Wrinkle Serum: A unique Ayurvedic serum based on traditional serum preparation techniques (sneha kalpana), involving the infusion of potent Ayurvedic herbs into a base of oil (ghee, coconut oil or sesame oil).
- Herbomineral Mud Bath & Mask: An Ayurvedic face mask and body scrub, made in the tradition of Indian mud therapy with 12 Ayurvedic herbs and four different types of clay (red, yellow, black and white)